In FC Now, the Fast Company magazine blog, Stuart Heath posted eleven tips from the Sonoma Institute on going from "good to great" on an individual level. He followed it up asking for ideas on "how people can become - and remain - the best."
Here's my take on it...
In a nutshell, do what comes naturally. Find the things that you're wired to do, the things you can really be passionate about. When you do that, you get energy from your work, rather than having to dig in to your reserves to get it done. That means you have more to put into all the other pieces of the success puzzle.
It's the difference between following the riverbed and trying to push water up and over a hill.
I don't subscribe to the money = success idea, but I think the following study illustrates pretty effectively the power that tapping into your passion can have.
In 1962, Srully Blotnick began a study focused on 1500 new college graduates. He divided those 1500 people into two groups. The first, which made up 83% of the total, chose their careers based on the potential for making a lot of money. The remaining 17% chose their career based on what they loved doing.
Twenty years later he revisited the two groups. Of the original 1500 people, there were 101 millionaires. Of those 101 millionaires, 100 came from the 17% that chose their path based on what they loved!